Avoid a Landscaping Disaster! 8 Steps To A Beautiful Yard….
Benjamin Franklin’s quote “Failing to plan is planning to fail” holds true when it comes to landscape design. We wanted to share a few tips every homeowner needs to keep in mind to help their outdoor projects go well.
- Make a list of things that you would like to change about your outdoor space, and collect photos of landscapes you like. Lists and pictures will help the designer understand why your space does not work for your family, the priorities for your project, and the overall look you enjoy.
- Think about your budget ahead of time. You want to ensure what you are asking to have designed and built coincides with the amount of money you want to invest in your property. This is best discussed before you begin the design process.
- Do your research! Ensure the companies you are speaking with are licensed, insured, and have local references.
- Communicate. Express your ideas, concerns, and thoughts about your project, and allow your designer to do the same. An open line of communication builds trust and helps avoid any misunderstandings.
- Have a master plan done for the entire property. This allows you to have a cohesive plan that could be separated into smaller, more manageable projects. Doing the project in phases might reduce your stress and could allow some time for your wallet to recover.
- Read the proposal carefully. The difference is in the details. If the company is not willing to create a detailed proposal, listing exactly what you are receiving, there might be a misunderstanding once the project begins. Remember: you get what you pay for. Beware of a drastically low estimate.
- Ensure they have, and stand behind, their warranties.
- Plan for the unexpected. No plan is foolproof; but, you can save your sanity by hiring an experienced company. For an experienced company, an unexpected event is most likely just a minor inconvenience.
Create relaxing outdoor living spaces to enjoy!
A larger landscape project will be a sizable investment in your property and will change the way you view and enjoy your home. For our clients, having a beautiful and well-thought-out landscape not only gives them a sense of pride in their beautiful new outdoor design, but also an excuse to spend more time outside relaxing with friends and family.
Creating inspiring landscapes is what we at Kane Landscapes do every day. Our talented landscape architects and craftsmen push themselves to imagine and construct outdoor environments that will make you, and your guests, say “Wow!”
We would love to help you enjoy your outdoors. Give us a call at (703) 803-3146 or visit our website to see some of our work: www.kanelandscapes.com
About the Author:
Josh Kane is the founder of Kane Landscapes, Inc. With over 30 years of experience in the landscape industry, Josh has grown Kane Landscapes into one of the premier landscape architecture, build, and garden care firms in the Northern Virginia Region. He has been a true believer in the power of networking since the founding of Kane Landscapes. A majority of clients who are investing in larger outdoor projects want to work with a company they know or have been personally introduced to. Organizations like nexco National are vital in enabling Kane Landscapes to meet the clients who value the work we do.